Literary Analysis: "Dead Stars"

 

ESSAY- Dead Stars

1.       Discussion – literature circle roles and elements of literature for Dead Stars

        Using literature circle roles for Dead Stars, part of literature circle are discussion facilitator, commentator, iilustrator, connector and summarizer. As the discussion facilitator for Dead Stars, wherein questions are made for the insights of how love becomes so complicated sometimes. This role can make questions like what decisions are about to measure or become basis on whether to go for a current love or just go for a new- found prospect of love which happened to Alfred. In this part of playing as facilitator, questions are all open questions and the discussion will be more alive and vibrant to reveal feelings. The Dead Stars complicated love story can be discussed by the facilitator with closer look to questions “What was working through your brain while realizing the complicated story of Alfred? How Alfred handled rational decision-making to avoid complication of already expected wedding with fiancé? Playing the literature role as commentator for Dead Stars, there can be analysis for passages that the main characters have been mentioned in the story.  The commentator may react or as the group to listen to this excerpt I chose and I put in quotation marks as I got it from the verbatim of the story” She was pursuing an indignant relation about something or other, something about Calixta, their note-carrier, Alfredo perceived, so he merely half-listened, understanding imperfectly. At a pause he drawled out to fill in the gap: "Well, what of it?" The remark sounded ruder than he had intended. "She is not married to him," Esperanza insisted in her thin, nervously pitched voice. "Besides, she should have thought of us. Nanay practically brought her up. We never thought she would turn out bad."What had Calixta done? Homely, middle-aged Calixta?"You are very positive about her badness," he commented dryly. Esperanza was always positive."But do you approve?""Of what?""What she did.""No," indifferently."Well?"” This passage can be analyzed as the main way of Esperanza to lift up some actual stories from gossips that may be Alfred is having some moments of glance to other woman. I know Esperanza was just trying to express anger to Calixta but she only wants it to be relevant to her situation with fiancé who seems to lose appetite to their wedding preparations. Doing the literature circle role  of illustrator, the sketching I can do is showing a man looking at a beautiful woman at very far location under the stars, since the main story is about impossible love to happen between Julia Salas and Alfredo. I hope the group can depict the story of love in the artwork. In the role of connector or reflector, there can be a discussion that in love it is not always the happy side, there are complicated matters and decisions to make and there are situations that make them look for honor and check the words of the person, In real life, love is life but so many consequences when we want to fight for it for long term. It must mutually made and done. In the story, Esperanza remains her honor but so sad to reflect that Alfredo was trying to find his real feelings but stick to the honor of the wedding as set. The summarizer can deal on the figurative languages applied in Dead Stars story. There can be focus on the different questions.

                As literary analysis, the element setting can be realized happening in a barrio where people know each other and when engagements and wedding are made mostly they know the event. They can easily make notions probably positive and negative. In the story of Dead Stars, Alfredo as the main character was under pressure which integrity of love he has to follow. However, he tried to be fair with his fiancé and remained perplexed of Julia a new prospect of love. The main character shows much struggles and difficulties. Julia as the second love of Alfredo remained single in the end despite of long years of being apart, I think she has to care with Alfredo too. Esperanza has to make a beautiful family in organized way.  The litertary analysis also shows imagery as important factor to analyze Dead stars. The title itself shows imagery is applied. The idea of being very special or being particularly loved and adored comes to my mind when I heard the word star. The star is a positive word for me where it means you are the main character of a story or I am associated as a very important person.  The kind of value we ascribe to this particular heavenly entity is high fame or high adoration to a person as a special individual.  The idea of being star is truly being great in some actions and being someone as a attention is given with much importance. The main meaning of the title is also essential for literary analysis of the story. The story is titled “ Dead Stars” because it depicts the dream of Alfredo of having a real love connection with a new girl Julia as nonexistent who served as Alfredo’s dream whom he felt a love that was anew and fantastic but never happened in reality so the situation of Alfredo is like Dead Stars. Like the dead stars, the shine of Alfredo’s love had not been that so relevant now anymore since 8 years of being far away and his marriage to Esperanza did not really allow make stars alive so they are dead.  Another symbolism or imagery to ponder is the two women in the story Julia and Esperanza where there is a need to understand their representation of two kinds of love and how  they express love to Alfredo.  I realized that Julia’love is more of unconditional and secretive with less possessiveness while Esperanza’s love is honed by years of assuring virtue where she behaved to patiently wait for their wedding and for the honor of long engagement. Her love is more possessive and sometimes disturbed by paranoia as Alfredo did not show too much. Another way is the reason of Alfredo defend Calixta, the maid Esperanza said eloped with a married man Alfredo defended Calixta, the maid Esperanza said eloped with a married man because he does not want to be unfair of Calixtae sudden decision and becomes too judgmental of her, and probably he is very keen to the situation is alike to his in case of Julia Salas. He wants Esperanza not to behave so much disgusted of Calixta. In the entire literary analysis, this about imagery and symbolism and how to understand complicated situation of love that Alfredo encountered in his manhood or life as a man.

In the literature circle roles, the most important is the facilitator to assure facilitate ,motivation ith groups to understand Vicente and mother behavior and reversal of common attitude happens. The illustrator can make a sketch or artwork showing a man as a tutor. The summariser can explain how mother tried to defeat obstance. For literary analysis of Magnificence, I can analyze that it uses the theme of feminism as emphasized by the writer Estrella Alfon. This conveys the need to see the essence of understanding gender relations and gender role reversals. The main story gave a lot of things to develop comparisons between Vicente and the mother. They manifests contrastive describing points. No doubt that at the beginning of the story, Vicente is shown as gentle with soft voice tutoring the two kids. The scenario expresses the typical mother who wants to give impact of discipline. Vicente is the dark little man. The contrast can be seen I using literary device which is metaphor in the case of contrasting behavior of Vicente and the mother. The metaphor of light or illumination is effective.  The cultural relevance can be seen as seeing how teachers always devote time to people. In the story, the mother’s sense of control with Vicente is set aligned with her internal disposition once with her daughter. Her touch is “heavy…kneading”, eyes with “angered fire”, her deeds “almost uptight and hysterical. In political sense, this can be showing that women cannot be underestimated. The resistance of woman can be stronger with an attitude of dedication and devotion. In the story Magnificence, the magnificent is the strong personality shown by the mother. The social point

 Shows, omen tends to be seen weak in power and even decisions unlike men who always give disposition in actions. Vicente as a teacher or tutor needs to be a source of moral values. His desire for the little girl tends to be obvious and the mother is not ignorant. She fights for fair justice of her daughter and she made a clear picture of essential role in the story. The woman is a mother and her slap to the face of Vicente, the tutor is a form of confrontation. Vicente is like a wolf in sheep’s clothing. This reminds us to be keen and protective of ourselves.

 

2.       Discussion –relating

I think I can relate in real life with the story of Dead Stars where sometimes I have some desires that I truly want but I lack the courage to get and have them, the soonest possible. For example, I desire to have my special trips abroad but due to lack of time management and focus, I am not yet having them. They are like  Dead stars. Just dreaming of them. Dead Stars shows some complicated situations in relationships and sometimes, I also experience complicated situations. I think it is about how I must take care of my decisions in life whether to fight him or let go. This reminds the need to be more courageous in undertaking. Before , I like someone. I as not able to have moments ith him. It hurts. Dead stars really exist when opportunities are left not accomplished or undertaken. In the issue of Magnificence, I can relate in the idea of feminism, I want to always prove that as a woman, I can make a strong point to fight my ideas and belief. I can stand alone and a man must not appear stronger. In my own experiences, I behave with strong personality in decisions I made in life and in dealing with people especially men. I don’t think they are always right. There ,must be equality. I also relate that as a woman, I have instincts to follow the beat of my heart. I see that in life,I must be able to stand by myself. When wrong is existing, I must also remind the person not to take advantage. In my life, I think woman empowerment really matters but of course discipline and morality really matters in social interaction. I experience that being given low respect with other people but I remained moral. I think as human we have to be good and just. In magnificence, I got clarity of mind, I understand the oman taking care of her child. In my case, I am single but I am protecting myself, If someone abuses me in financial or other matter, I always raise my right to be heard. There must be our way to shield ourselves. In these stories, I am able to ponder life. The significance of being fair and how to be more fighting for what you must fight. I have some desires and through my own, I can reach them. I will walk in success with honor and pride. I am a woman. I have my values. I know I can. I value all things in my life. God is with me. I know.  God gives me instincts and I will use them. There are challenges in life and I will not give up because it is life that I have to always feel confidently beautiful and more alive and kicking. I must have stronger personality. I am who I am, I don’t like dead stars in the end. s

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lyric Analysis (Literature)- Sa Ugoy ng Duyan

My Perception on Kris Aquino’s commercial of Ariel Detergent Powder for Year 2017 and the relevant theory ( Communication Arts Subject)